Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Very Own Pancake Recipe


When I was still a kid, I remember playing "luto-luto" with my childhood friends. I used all the leaves that i saw in our backyard, and all the utensils in our kithcen. Hehe. Not knowing that it showed my passion for food now that i am a grown-up. More over, i used to observe my Grandma Lala while she was cooking us some pancakes when i was around 8 years old. She was also the one who taught me how to cook pancakes when i was ready enough to face the gas stove.

Well, i sure did learn from those moments. And i realized that my Grandma Lala has taught me a lot of stuffs pala while i was growing up. I miss her though.

Anyway, for a long time i have been searching for the perfect pancake recipe.. a pancake that is soft, fluffy, and yummy and of course, something i will make from scratch.. While still on the search, i tried a lot of ready mix pancakes available in the market. Not Pillsbury, Maya hotcake mix is good. But when Magnolia Pancake mix came out recently, i certainly loved it. It's the best pancake mix ever.
Now that I am in Japan, I was desperate enough to have my favorite magnolia pancakes. So i continued my research, and viola!!! I tried some internet recipes and tweaked some measurements to suit my perfect pancake! Super soft, fluffy, not too thick and yummy . And when it gets cold, it is still soft as when it was freshly cooked. And I will share it with everyone who also loves pancakes as much as i do..

1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted) (120 grams)

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons white sugar

1 large egg

3/4 cup whole milk (175ml)

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

>extra melted butter for greasing the pan.

It's easy as 1, 2, 3.

1. Place all dry ingredients in one mixing bowl -- flour, salt, baking powder, sugar. And whisk it to disperse all the ingredients.

2. Put all the wet ingredients in one mixing bowl -- egg, milk, and melted butter. And beat until blended.

3. Pour the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat it using a wooden spoon or wire whisk. Do not overbeat, beat until just blended. It is just fine to have lumps in this pancake batter or else the pancakes will be tough.

There you have it. In cooking this pancake, I suggest a non-stick pan so it is easy to flip it.

Heat the pan on slow fire. Brush some melted butter or oil on it. When it is heated pour enough batter, just big or small enough, any size you like it eaten.

Now here is the secret, you will know when to flip the pancakes is when there are a lot of bubbles forming on top. It is important to cook the pancakes on slow fire. The slowest possible fire in order not to burn it. The other side of the pancake will cook more quickly, maybe 15 seconds or more, so don't be afraid to flip it again to check.

Serve with butter and pancake syrup. I suggest Karo pancake syrup or better yet maple syrup. If you do not have syrup, orange marmalade will do.

VERSIONS:
-- Place slices of cheese after pouring the batter on the pan, and cover it using a spoon, so it won't burn when you flip the pancake.
--If you want thinner pancakes, add more milk.


Happy Eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment