Sunday, August 22, 2010

Two Hearts. One Love. One Family.

I'd like to write today to commemorate the 28 years of solid love between my parents. It also signifies 28 years of my existence on this planet.
The love story of my folks is quite ordinary. But how they made it through the years despite marrying at an early age of 18 makes them an exceptional couple. My Mom and Dad are each one's first love, thus they live up to the motto "First Love Never Dies". Not all childhood sweethearts who fall in love, got pregnant, and married despite being young, survives marriage.
We can all fall in love and marry at any age, but how to survive being married is a challenge for both husband and wife. And the challenge grows larger with the presence of children, the fruits of their love. So for a family to stay together as one unit, it will be up to the parents how they keep their family bonded.
I have seen my family go through trials and triumphs. We have gone through a lot of trials in our life as a family. The most challenging of which was when we had to give up the only source of income we had before, losing our cars, and even our house . We left and lost everything in Gensan. So we had to live with my grandparents in Davao. Me and my brother studied there for a year. I can vividly remember that I only had enough "baon" for a piece of bread which was far different from when I used to study at Notre Dame, I had 15.00 for baon.
When we came back to Gensan, my parents let me study again in Notre Dame because they did not want to sacrifice my education. They had to ask help from my grandparents because they could not afford my tuition anymore. But it was not long, my parents found a way so they could pay our school's tuition. They ran a "karinderya" in front of the YBL terminal. From a top class auto repair shop to a simple karinderya that is. From having a 4x4 land cruiser and a car to a 2 wheeled motorcycle. "Pero hatid sundo pa rin ako".
During that young age, I was in grade 5 back then, I admit it I was quite ashamed with our status that time. It was hard for us kids because we had to adjust from having everything we wanted, to having ONLY what we needed. I could not imagine right now that it was way more difficult for them. But my parents were not embarrassed about this shift, as long as it sustained us. As long as we had shelter, food, and education. As long as we remained as one happy family. They taught us how to adjust to our situation. "Tiis lang muna tayo" is what they used to tell us. And we have learned a lot about life because of that.

They kept reminding us that it won't be long and that they will do everything just to recover what we lost way back . "Family gud!" was our motto, and is still our motto up to now. They never gave up because they do not want to have a broken family. They did everything just to bring us back to our feet again. They held on to each other, they held on to their vows to one another, they held on because of LOVE.
I do not know how my folks did it. But I love them so much for not giving up amidst the ups and downs of life. This became my foundation. And I will raise my own family just the way Papa and Mama did. Happy Anniversary Pa, Ma!

No comments:

Post a Comment