Wednesday, August 11, 2010

RT memoirs


One day it struck me. While I was working, the reality that my work now is far different from the profession I graduated from got into me. A realization that came to me upon hearing a familiar sound I used to hear in the ICU. Yes, I used to hear the ventilator's alarm when the patient resists to breathe, the sound of the cardiac monitors bugging on a low oxygenated finger, the sound of the nurses taking blood pressures... All that to me was music to my ears.
As happy as I was back then, I think I would not be able to survive for years pursuing my career. Let's face it, the wage was not enough. And I know my fellow RT's would agree with me on this. That's why almost all the RT's I knew went to the UAE, for a brighter tomorrow because that is the only country where we are accepted as we are, no-board exam professionals. There is no US dream for us. Since we do not have board exam in the Philippines, nobody from the Western Part of the world would hire us. And that battle to amend our board exam is still afloat until now.
Why? People in the congress? When our work as medical professionals include caring for a critically ill patient, trying to fight for dear life. Their life is in our hands because we take care of the oxygen they are paying for to breathe. When all other courses out there that does not call for dealing with persons are given board exams, even those simple ones. Poor respiratory therapists. We are most needed in any hospital, but our population has ended because of the lack of board exam. And in some hospitals, we are already substituted by medtechs and nursing aids.
So, even though the sound I am hearing right now at work is noise to my ears, I am highly compensated hearing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment