Sunday, July 18, 2010

Becoming..

I never expected that I would get to love baking. I used to hate it when I was still in highschool saying that it is too "matrabaho" and "makuti" knowing that you have to measure everything. And because wayback my ambition in life was to become a doctor. Marangal na Doktor.
So I took up a pre-med course to prepare myself for that ambition. BS Respiratory Therapy. But all throughout my internship the reality of being a doctor flashed before my eyes. It was a stiff competition. You have to be the greatest if you want to survive and earn bucks out of it. Not to mention the years it will take out of your precious life just to study 2 kilogram heavy books, and books, and books... The time it will take when I am supposed to spend it enjoying dear life. The reward is more than satisfying, yes, but TIME is important for me. Time for everything I want to do. I ended my ambition.
After graduating I employed myself so I could apply what I have learned for 4 years. I worked 3 years. But the work became routine I could even close my eyes and I still know what I am doing. I loved my work though. Saving lives, giving patients oxygen to live, aiding them to breathe. But my time was the patient's. I could not even attend family gatherings during Sundays because of the hospital shift. Then again, it was TIME I needed.
Fortunately, when I resigned I had all the time I wanted. I am a person who could not stand doing nothing at all. I saw a paper with a schedule for baking by Gerardo's. I told myself to give it a try since I had nothing to do that interests me. I attended their brownies and bars class for 1 day knowing that I love brownies so much.
Add Video
The first brownies I baked was sugary sandy. I had to ask questions from Sir Gerry and Tita Angging thru text while doing it. Pero palpak pa rin. It did not rise because we did not know how to operate my first La Germania gas-type oven. I can still remember it clearly. It was so funny, even Papa did not know why everytime we closed the oven the flame would turn off. We had to ignite it a couple of times with a posporo (match) when we realized that it turned off because we closed the oven "bigla". It had to be closed slowly pala. Haha. I also did not pre-heat the oven. Pero naubos din ang brownies.

True to the saying "Practice makes it perfect". I kept practicing until I got it right. Kung palpak, my family would be happy to eat all of it. Papa and my brothers would always ask me, "Palpak yan Ate?". Kasi pag perfect na, they could not taste it. When i perfected it, being the negosyante that I am, I sold it. And oh, they also taught me how to do the costing at Gerardo's. So I displayed my bars at Yolly's and Chicken Haus where my Mom also displays the ever famous, old and original, Lola Mading's Pastillas.


I only took that one session at Gerardo's. It opened my heart to baking. I also got secret techniques and advices from fellow veteran bakers like Tita Angging who gave my first oven thermometer, Tita Liza who supplied me with many baking stuffs and ingredients from the US the moment she knew I loved it too, and Tita Rose who shared to me her cake decorating skills. The rest was history. I honed myself through searching and trying out recipes. Walnut tarts, eclairs, cookies, muffins, cheesecakes,etc. And when I became ready enough, I took the Basic Cakes at Gerardo's. They taught me the basics of baking cakes for one day. Then practiced, practiced, practiced.
And so with this new love for baking, I managed my time. I had time for my family, my hubby, my hobby, and my passion. There's always a time for everything.

3 comments: